Thursday, April 14, 2011

Because i've decided not to print my masterpiece just yet...

I'll give you an idea of what I talk about in De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium. Here is my theory:

The Universe consists of eight spheres. The outermost sphere contains many motionless, unmoving stars. At the center stands the motionless Sun. Each planet is in its own sphere in this order: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn. However, the Moon revolves in its own sphere around the earth. The apparent daily revolution of the Sun and the stars around the Earth, was actually the motion and daily rotation of the Earth on its very own axis. It all makes sense now! Take that Ptolemy!



Unfortunately, I believe that all the orbits of celestial bodies must be perfect circles...which forces me to retain Ptolemy's idea of epicycles. Sigh, well, I'm still more right than he was.

This is Nicolaus Copernicus, signing off.



1 comment:

  1. I read your entry, Copernicus. While I respect your overall contributions to astronomy, I must disagree with your theory. A heliocentric universe is just so...unappealing, the way it goes against the church's belief that the world is geocentric. I created my own theory, which actually follows the belief of the church, plus it supports my observations. I Just posted about it on my blog, check it out.

    ReplyDelete