Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Why, Hello There!

Hello Physics students of the world, my name is Nicolaus Copernicus. Yeah, you know, they one they refer to as "the father of modern astronomy"...I'm kind of a big deal. While on this blog I will mainly be talking about the fascinating concept of Heliocentrism (and why it's so much better than Geocentrism), in this first post, I will be telling all you heliocentric-lovers about my life.

I was born on February 19th, 1473 in the city of Toruń in Royal Prussia, which is a part of Poland. I was named after my father, who was a merchant. My mother, Barbara, was the daughter of a wealthy merchant. I had 3 older siblings; my brother Andreas, my sister Barbara, who was named after mother dearest, and my sister Katharina. Katharina and her husband had 5 kids, who I was left to take care of for the rest of my life, but I, myself, never had kids nor got married. 


As you probably know, I'm famous for bringing back the heliocentric theory. I studied arithmetic, geometry, geometric optics, cosmography, theoretical and computational astronomy at  Kraków university. I also studied the writings of Aristotle and Averroes, which played a pretty important part in shaping my own theories. My years at Krakow gave me the knowledge that contributed to my theories about the universe. 


So there you have it, a small look into the life of I, Nicolaus Copernicus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment